Friday 3 February 2012

Lounge Cabinet

We have two more weeks before we move, I am now less stressed and more excited.  The house is looking fantastic, and we have a tenant lined up to move in when we move out (at a higher rent than we expected).  I think it is because of all the work I/we have done over the last six months.

Its funny that I have lived in this house for 5 years, and not really liked it.  Now we are moving we have the house looking great.  Its also amazing what a lick of paint can do to a room.

 Anyhoo, I promised I would show you one of my improvements to a cabinet.

 Below is the finished project.  Love it


 And here is the same area before.  Hate it...


There are literally a thousand tutorials on how to paint furniture, so I am not going to show you that.  However, this cabinet was goint to be painted white.


The only problem was, the drawers had chunks out of the bottom corners, not so noticable when brown, (definately noticable in person).  But if painted white, the missing chunks would have stood out.

Wandering the aisles of my local hardware store, I was thinking that wood putty or some sort of filler would do the job.  But then I came across this little beauty...


It is really easy to use (make sure you use rubber gloves) basically you cut off the amount you need, knead it until the colour is uniform and then mould it to shape.  I found it attached really easily and I was able to shape it in place.  And then it was dry in about 5 minutes.


After 5 minutes I was able to sand it smooth and shape it into a better corner shape


Apparently you can nail into it and drill it etc.  I didn't need to do anything further, other than paint the cabinet.  We then installed the tv, attatching the tie down strap from the tv to the cabinet.  I was paranoid the kids will pull the tv onto themselves, but that baby is not going anywhere.


Somehow, I got lucky and there is a solid piece of wood that I screwed the tie down strap into, not just the plywood backing :-)


Here is the finished project.  And a gold star goes out to the person who can spot the patched up drawers.  Heres a tip - I don't even know unless I look at the back unpainted side.



The before...


...and after

Linking to these fantastic blogs

3 comments:

  1. Ooh Sarah! White paint makes everything better and your cabinet is just beautiful now. Well done! God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white really brightens up that space. Looks great!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Painting the cabinet white brought it back to life. Love it white, the area just looks so new and pretty now. Thanks for letting us know about Shelly's Knead It, we have a project that this will come in very handy. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

    ReplyDelete