Monday 30 May 2011

The Hallway

'Spose I should write a post about our hallway seeing as if my blog is called "The Hall Way" (even though it is a play on words). 

Our hall has no character, and is just a place for us to walk from one end of the house to the other.  But oddly it turns two corners, when walking from the living areas to the bedrooms you walk towards our master bedroom (that has double doors - with only one ever being open)
So I have had the wicker vase with the long sticks in the corner to add a bit of interest.  It is a long hallway, and you see straight down it when you walk in the house (hense the one door being closed to our bedroom - I don't need eveyone seeing my unmade bed!).  At the urn, you turn left to another bedroom and the laundry.  So when I come back from the laundry to the living areas I am faced with a great wall of nothingness, as seen in the below picture.

I decided I had heaps of mismatched wooden frames that had photos in them that I really didn't like.  These were sitting on our entertainment cabinet for all the world to see, and I hated them.  So I decided to add a few more from the Salvo's store, (which were half price so the most I paid for the frames was $4.00)

and spray painted them all the same colour

While they were drying I stuck some newspaper together to get an idea for the size of my layout, and hung it on the wall with blu-tac.

And I could see that this just might look good.


I found some photos of family that I loved, did a bit of editing (just with microsoft office - nothing fancy) and cropped, resized and made all the pictures black and white.  I then cut out printer paper to the size of the frames and stuck the photos to the paper (again no fancy matt boards).  I then layed the frames on the newspaper to check for placement

Once I was happy with the placement of the frames, I drew around the edge of each frame, and marked where the hooks should go on the paper.  I then labelled the frame with the corresponding outline so that I could remember which frame went where. (I have had two children so can be a little ditsy sometimes)

I hung the newspaper back up on the wall, hammered in my nails, placed the frames on the appropriate outline, and took down the newspaper.

L.O.V.E  I.T.

Whats better, everytime I walk past it (which is about hundred million times - before breackfast) I smile.  Some of these people are no longer with us, and the photos bring back great memories.
By the way, the photos that were origninally in the frames, I tossed out.  Not before I scanned them (they were taken pre digital camera days) and saved them on the computer, deep down in a file no-one will ever find, but at least I still have them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment